Queensland’s Interim Action Plan for tourism recovery will include a $14 million, two-year investment to deliver more hospitality jobs and support the Queensland Government’s COVID-19 Economic Recovery Plan.
In an official announcement released today, the state is expected to attract more of Australia’s lucrative conference and business events market, which Tourism Minister Stirling Hinchcliffe said was part of the Tourism Industry Reference Panel’s Interim Action Plan for Tourism Recovery.
“Formed by the Palaszczuk Government in March, the Tourism Industry Reference Panel has been working with tourism operators on a blueprint to lead Queensland tourism’s recovery from the global pandemic,” Mr Hinchliffe said.
“With more double-dose vaccinations in arms, the Interim Action Plan recommends weaning business off Zoom and moving back to face-to face events and conventions to revive an industry previously worth $35 billion nationally.
“Business visitors often spend more in conference destinations and are more likely to return with family for a holiday experience.”
More than $1 billion in direct support has been committed by the Palaszczuk Government to get tourism operators from the border to the Cape through the once-in-a-lifetime pandemic.
The Tourism Minister said the Panel’s Interim Action Plan had called for an ‘integrated aviation restart strategy’.
“A portion of our $10 million aviation budget has kept intra-state routes in the air and given Queensland airports the fire power to work with airlines to schedule extra domestic flights for the December 17 border reopening,” Mr Hinchliffe said.
“Just as important, is the overseas relationships and marketing the Palaszczuk Government has maintained during the pandemic to be on the front foot when the Federal Government decides it is safe to reopen the international border to tourism.”
The final Action Plan is anticipated in the first half of 2022.