It is believed the blaze started in the exhaust system above the restaurant’s Argentinian-style asador barbecue pit.

Abrahanowicz and Milgate’s statement regarding the fire said,  “We are extremely grateful that our team were evacuated safely. NSW fire brigade did an amazing job and saved most of the restaurant.”

The Cleveland Street building remains sealed off and will be out of service for a considerable amount of time.

All parties who have bookings at the venue have been contacted.

A Porteno spokesperson said that the team cannot advise when the restaurant will reopen as they don’t know themselves. She said that they will update their social media channels as soon as more information becomes available.